- Name LOBIN Project (Security Total System based on next-generation emergent technology)
- Duration 2008 to 2009
- Coordination Simave
- Partners Nlaza Soluciones, Nuubo, Universidad Carlos III y Gradiant
- Funding Entities Plan Avanza I+D, Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Commerce (Plan Nacional de Investigación Científica, Desarrollo e Innovación Tecnológica 2008-2011)
The Avanza Lobin Project is focused on the sensor network applicability in security environments; this project completes other Gradiant projects in the search for the consolidation of excellence networks about sensor networks theme, like REEFS.
Potentially, this project can pave the way to sensor networks based on exportable products. The objectives of the project are the following:
- State of the art and standardization of wireless technologies with a special emphasis on IEEE802.15. 4 and the Zigbe environment.
- Specification, search for solutions and sensing systems integration, interesting for the different suggested scenarios: presence, acoustic, people biometrical datase etc
- Implementation and design of hardware platform mechanism energy management
- Design and development of reactive routing mechanism, with special emphasis in the efficient energy consumption and the capacity of include redundant mechanism.
- Localization by sensor networks.
- Specification and implications of certification requirement Specifications implications of the certification requirements of devices in security environment.
- Development of a prototype of unattended sensor network.
The LOBIN project is oriented to undertake researching lines on the design of a hardware/software platform able to support location and biomonitoring textronics applications for social and hospital environments. The smart materials are a new generation of components from nanotechnology and materials included in the big compound family.
These new generation materials offer high design and new products development potential. The new products will have properties that can be controlled and configured on demand, permitting personalized interaction with the final user and with many applications for industry and different market segments, including: electronics mass market, telecommunications, toys, fitness, defense, health…
The LOBIN project has as its main objective the development of a full location and biomonitoring platform in a hospital environment. This locating and biomonitoring basic structure will be based in the use of smart shirts (washable and reusable) with incorporated eTextile sensors that are able to transmit a ECG by wireless connection, breathing, the relative position of the patient (lying, standing up), physical activity rate and space location.
The communication will be carried out by a wireless mesh network to permit devices association, based on the short-range wireless communication standard, low energy consumption and low-cost power called ZigBee.
What’s more, it will be designed and validated a Secure Network Information System to take control of the patients as well as the visual and graphic representation of the location in real-time, everything represented on a map of the hospital centre.
Likewise, the information network system will count on other additional tools, such as alarms in case of a patient displacement out of the limits of the hospital centre, continual registration of the patient ECG, real time detection of the rhythm events (arrhythmia, bradycardia, tachycardia, fibrillation, etc.).
The prototype will be specially important to open a new work line, although in this case, it’s focused on patients control, it could be easily adaptable to other necessities and scenarios, because of the technology employed. Furthermore the applications developed will have a high degree of reuse.
This strategy approach is especially significant because it permits the consolidation on the part of SIMAVE in such important matters in this business area as the ubiquity, patients’ managements, resources and others are.
On the other hand, it is necessary to emphasize that this project will become a starting point of collaboration between SIMAVE, Nlaza and NUUBO, opening with it a very important work line for them. It is necessary to emphasize as well the activation of the knowledge and technology transfer that will occur between R&D Centers and the three developing companies, with the objective of enhancing the quality of citizens’ life and make accessible Society Information, to a more extended public.